Life Update 004: Moving Back to Indonesia

Saturday, May 9, 2020


Hi friends!
I am back with another life update post because life has been full of changes lately and I just want to document these changes.

So, I am back in Indonesia!! How did that happen? For those of you who have read my previous life update post probably already know how this happened, but I'm still going to start with a little back story.

Back in 2014, I graduated from high school and moved to Taiwan to pursue my bachelor's degree. The reason why I chose Taiwan was that I wanted to get the hell out of Indonesia and since I have an aunt living in Taiwan, my parents thought, "yeah why not let her go." Just to be clear, my parents did not force me to go, it was all my own decision. I was interested in the Mandarin language and Taiwan seems to be a safer option than China considering how big China is and I've heard people saying that the citizens are rude? (Idk, that's just what I heard), so my only option was Taiwan.
To this day, I could still remember vividly the day I said goodbye to my parents at the airport and boarded the plane. While others were hugging their families and tearing, I was excited. I was excited to start a new life, make new friends, and create memorable moments in Taiwan. So I did exactly just that.
I graduated university in 4 years and stayed for another year in Taipei to work (in case you are interested in my life after uni story, you could check out my life update 002: life after uni post).
So now you are all caught up.

Last year, I made the decision to come back to Indonesia to pursue my career in a psychology-related field. Deciding on moving back to Indonesia was not an easy thing to do. I had to think long and hard, measure up the pros and cons, and focus on planning the future plans so that I do not regret moving back home. Although this decision does sound like an easy one for some people, because how hard it is to move back to the country that you were raised in right? But it's different for me. Growing up, I knew that I wanted to move out of Indonesia, I had a dream that I'm going to make a living abroad, because I was not happy in Indonesia. So, deciding on coming back home is actually a hard decision to make because deep down I knew that I would not love living in Indonesia as much as I love living in Taipei.

Despite the fact that I've prepared myself mentally for this big move, I still can't help but feel sad sometimes. There are days when I miss everything in Taiwan; I miss how cheap the bubble milk tea is, I miss how convenient it is to go anywhere, I miss the Taiwanese breakfast, I miss the safety of Taiwan's streets, and I miss my friends. I remembered breaking down into tears in my first month back. I couldn't hold it and I just cried. I cried and told my boyfriend that I hated it here, I shouldn't have moved, I should've just sucked it up and stayed in that job that I disliked back in Taipei or find a new one. But while I was saying that, I knew that wasn't true. There's no way I'm going back to that office and lived my life like a robot every single day. I knew I was saying that just because I miss Taipei so much. Whenever I broke down, my boyfriend was always there to console me, he was my pillar and my source of motivation to stay put and enjoy the Jakarta life. He too finds it hard sometimes. Unlike me, it was not his decision to come back and work in Jakarta, instead, his original plan was to stay in the UK or maybe move to Singapore. Unfortunately, his working visa was rejected and he had no choice but to come home.

I have been back for almost 7 months now (since September 2019) and I am slowly adapting. I landed a job in a month's time. Back when I was in Taipei, I thought that looking for jobs in Jakarta won't be hard, Jakarta is a big city and I'm sure there are lots of job vacancies. Boy was I wrong. It was hard alright. I spent my first month waking up only to find zero new emails from the companies that I applied to. I am not the kind of person who relies on connections to get a job, but at this point, I was growing more and more impatient every day, so I decided to message a friend who offered to help. And that is how I got my first job in Jakarta.

I am currently working in a counselling center as one of the counselor's personal assistant who happens to be the director of the counseling center as well. My job is to help her with scheduling her clients, managing workshop events, and any other administrative responsibilities. For the first time in two years, I finally am able to say that I enjoy my current job. Despite the administrative work, I sometimes get to observe how the therapists and psychologists handle their clients. Ever since I work in the counseling center, I am even more motivated to dive deeper into the psychology field. I am constantly learning and gaining new insights.

So, this is it. I am starting my new life back in Indonesia, I have a job that I like, and I am no longer in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend. This is just the beginning, and it's been going well. I hope it will only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

newer older Home